The Mission of the Christina Capozzi Foundation
Family and friends formed The Christina Capozzi Foundation in December of 1998. It is a private, tax exempt, non-profit
organization pursuant to section 501 © (3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and all gifts and donations to the foundation are
tax deductible. The Christina Capozzi Foundation was formed to raise funds through events and contributions from corporations,
foundations, and friends. These funds are then used to accelerate first rate, scientific research aimed to support clinical
or basic research aimed at :
1) Determining the etiology of, or
2) Optimizing treatment for children with Shone’s Syndrome
or other similar forms of acquired structural heart disease with a progressive nature.
- To encourage and support excellent laboratory research that will accelerate the discovery of a cure or treatment for Shone’s
- To improve the accurate and timely diagnosis of Shone’s Syndrome patients by increasing public awareness and by
- To establish and support a clinical research center and information clearinghouse at the top rated, world class, Children’s
Hospital of Boston, for the evaluation of Shone's patients by a multidisciplinary team of specialists, and for the accumulation
of experience in managing the many facets of Shone’s Syndrome such as multiple levels of left heart obstruction including
supravalvar mitral rings, parachute mitral valve, subaortic stenosis, and coarctation.
- To develop quantitative, objective end points for measurement of the disease’s progression for use in evaluating
the efficacy of any drug or intervention.
- To eventually create and maintain a tissue/ cell bank with objective, neutral oversight and control in order to ensure
free access of existing and new researchers to Shone’s Syndrome patient specimens.